World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 is taking place today (Thursday 10 September) to raise awareness of how we can work together to prevent suicide.
Suicide rates are rising in Scotland and due to the current global pandemic, it’s more important than ever to understand how you can stay connected with yourself and others to help fight suicidal thoughts.
It can be a daunting experience talking about, or talking to someone who is feeling suicidal, but research shows that talking about your feelings can make a huge difference. As well as talking about your feelings, trying some of the suggestions below may help improve your mental health and wellbeing:
- Joining an online support community – Togetherall is a great resource available to Forth Valley College students 24/7 for free. Register at togetherall.com using your college email address
- Exercising – such as going for a walk or run to clear your mind
- Socialising – being around your friends and family can help improve your mood
- Relaxation techniques – like reading a book or meditating
- Keeping a diary – noting down your thoughts can help you identify patterns or triggers
But most importantly, if you or anyone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, please know that support is available.
There is a great range of support available at the College including:
College Counselling Service – email@example.com
Learner Advisers – firstname.lastname@example.org
Our counselling service has recently been extended to provide additional support. Support is currently being offered by video/telephone appointments but counsellors are also available on all campuses throughout the week for crisis intervention/emergency appointments. Get in touch for availability.
You can also contact any of the below organisations:
Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – for men
Telephone – 0800 58 58 58 (5pm to midnight every day)
Web Chat – www.thecalmzone.net/help/webchat
Papyrus – for people under 35
Telephone – 0800 068 41 41 (Mon to Fri 9am to 10pm, weekends and bank holidays 2pm to 10pm)
Text – 07860 039967
Email – email@example.com
Web – www.papyrus-uk.org
Let’s work together to break the stigma and help prevent suicide. Join the conversation @unitedtopreventsuicide.org.uk #UnitedToPreventSuicide