This year’s ‘Care Experienced Week’ is taking place from Saturday 19 October to Sunday 27 October 2019. This week celebrates people who have had experience of the care system and raises awareness of the support that is available.
At Forth Valley College, we want all care experienced young people to be successful during their time studying here. We want everyone to gain a place on an appropriate course, learn new skills, gain qualifications, and progress onto a positive destination.
The support on offer is varied and depends on each student, but includes:
- Pre-application help
- A guaranteed interview for applicants meeting the course entry criteria
- Priority processing for funding
- Further financial assistance as required e.g. payment for copies of birth certificates for funding purposes
- Care Experienced Student Bursary (eligibility criteria apply)
- Access to mentoring opportunities through the Time4Me Project (ages 14-25yrs)
We also have dedicated Learner Advisers at each of our campuses, offering specialist help to students who have been or are currently in care. A Learner Adviser will be in contact to offer dedicated one to one support, which includes:
- Support through pre-entry and the application phase of moving on to college
- Practical help in organising accommodation, childcare and/or transportation
- Be a key point of contact for signposting to other college support services e.g. Funding, Learning Support, etc.
If you are a current student and would like to find out more about the support available at the College, then visit our new dedicated student care page on Moodle.
Alternatively, if you want to pop in for a friendly chat about anything, please contact our Learner Advisory Services team on 01324 403000 or email email@example.com.
There is also a ‘Celebrating Connection’ event taking place at the Albert Hall in Stirling on Tuesday 22 October from 10am-2pm. The event will give care experienced young people the opportunity to connect with those who support them through a range of fun and interactive activities. For more information on the event and to book your place click here.